“Move A Foot To Cut Aberdeen Mayors Powers”, The Record, Friday, April 7, 2017 By Erika Butler ( Not available online. Wonder why?Dodgy journalism!)
Angry Mayor Pat McGrady stated in the Republican Record/Aegis that he believes a Council city charter change would “Effectively remove all authority of the mayor” and make the Mayor a “strictly ceremonial position”.
McGrady thinks this is “politically motivated” by the council because they don’t like the last election outcome. The council may be motivated by the authoritarian nature of the Tea Party Libertarian Mr. McGrady. He has generally abused his powers and run the city government like an arrogant tin horn dictator.
Remember his first action as Mayor involved a 5 month delay in voting on a council seat tie-vote. McGrady upended democratic practices and normal procedures to insert a crony in the disputed seat. The mayor acted arrogantly and autocratically. He ignored the 655 votes for Stephen Smith. He threw out that 655 votes and refused a vote on Smith because he didn’t like him. He didn’t like Mr. Smith so he trashed the democratic process.
The new charter doesn’t make the Mayor impotent but it does restrain his corrupt despotic behavior and strips the mayor of excessive powers.
- It removes the mayors power of preparing the budget and gives that power to the city manager. The Mayor last year unilaterally changed the health insurance company used by the city. He made the change with no vote and gave the new contract to a crony insurance agent.
- The new charter now makes the city manager the chief executive and operating officer.
- The city manager will now prepare the city budget thus trying to take the politics and corruption out of the budget.
- Also the city manager will continue to serve the city council but now any member of the council can request the city manger to be changed..
- If the city manager position becomes vacant the council, not just the mayor will choose a replacement.
- The entire council will also take charge of appointments not just the Mayor
The crybaby Mayor claims this is not fair. ” Its changing the rules after the election”. Democracy is fair. It happens after elections. That’s how change occurs. There was no proper democratic way of dealing with the tie-vote problem in the Aberdeen charter so McGrady abused his power to resolve it in an undemocratic way. The Mayor didn’t want to deal with changing the problem charter-wise until the State government demanded all jurisdictions amend their charters.
The sulking juvenile Mayor says the change is “willy-nilly”. He claims Aberdeen is turning into a third-world country. It was turning into a despotic government because of the abuse of power by Mr. McGrady. “Change is good. How it differs from the rocks” (Grace Slick)
Mr. McGrady’s complaints are pure political b.s. and he knows it. He abused his power time and again so the charter has to be refined to restrain any further despotic behavior.
Mr. McGrady just a few weeks ago again abused his power in creating the “Criminalize the Homeless” ordinance. Its a terrible despotic piece of inhumane crap. He did create it. He told the city manager to draw it up. But now he disowns it saying he is against it. He realized its crap and political poison. But he pulled a “dirty trick” when he knew his ignorant ordinance had no chance of passing public scrutiny.
Mr. McGrady originally introduced the bill as a “non-sponsored” ordinance. There is no such thing. It had to be somebodies idea. The city manager doesn’t spend his time thinking up stupid laws. McGrady thought it up with his crazy Tea Party buddies and told the CM to draw it up. But he also appears to have told the city manger to put Lindecamp’s and ‘Landbecks name on the bill as sponsors as a political trick.
The day after the Republican Aegis reported on its front page about the “Criminalize the Homeless” bill, McGrady’s cohorts at the Harford Tea Party (C4L) attacked Lindecamp and Landbeck for “sponsoring” this inhumane and ignorant ordinance with a facebook political ad. This ad tells you exactly why the Mayor of Aberdeen has to be restrained from acting like a political juvenile jerk.
The Mayor was the unidentified sponsor of the “Criminalize the Homeless” Law. He has stated specifically “There is nothing we can do about it (the poor)” And he considers their tent dwelling as a political eyesore in his campaign to “Keep Aberdeen Beautiful”.
- Rally for the Homeless – April 10 – City Hall – The “Fireworks” Begin At 7PM
2. Rally to Stop McGrady Corruption – April 10 – City Hall -7PM